Design For Manufacturability
With new electronic designs vying for consumer attention every day, it is important to not only have the greatest designs but also those that can be built quickly, efficiently and at the lowest manufacturing costs. This is the exact function that design for manufacturability undertakes. Simply put, design for manufacturing and design for assembly refers to the optimization of a prototype before manufacture. The goal of design for manufacturability and assembly is to determine how to design a product so that it can be manufactured and assembled in a cost-effective manner. While design for manufacturability is concerned with reducing the overall manufacturing cost, design for assembly has to do with reduction of materials, capital overhead cost as well as reduction of labor. Both DFM & DFA rely on applying the necessary standards so as to reduce product development cycle time as also to ensure that you do not have to deal with costly errors at a later date.
Some of the rules that PCB design for manufacturing as well as design for assembly strive towards, include:
- Reducing the number of parts in a design.
- Using multifunctional components.
- Designing for ease of PCB fabrication.
- Maximization of component placement acceptance.
- Minimizing repositioning and handling during assembly.
At Technotronix, we are fully equipped with the technological know-how, an experienced team and industry best practices that enable us to carry out the necessary design for manufacturing tests that ensure manufacturing of a superior product.
PCB Design for Manufacturability
Our DFM capabilities span the following areas:
With our expertise, we determine the right manufacturing processes for the PCB. The considerations at this stage include:
- Material required
- Steps required in assembly, and more.
This part of the design for manufacturability exercise involves rectifying any design issues prior to manufacturing. All design modifications are made keeping into account fundamental design principles.
This involves determining what materials are necessary for production. This step involves checking for strength, texture and thermal properties of the material.
We undertake a thorough evaluation of the exact environment under which the product needs to operate. The impact of the environment on the material and shape of the product, for example, is determined at this stage.
The final stage is to determine whether the design and the materials used conform to the regulatory rules and standards set for the PCB.
The process and method of design for manufacturability
- PCB design for manufacturability specifications is provided in documents.
- Design for manufacturability checklists is prepared in accordance with specification documents while product design is planned.
- Then, in the next step PCB DFM reports are made.
- PCB design for manufacturability testing is carried out.
- After that, DFM analysis and evaluation are derived.
Benefits of PCB Design for Manufacturing
The benefits of PCB design for manufacturing are wide ranging. Broadly they include:
- Reduction of bill of material costs.
- Reduction of handling costs.
- Reduction of labor and energy cost.
- Reduction of manufacturing time and improvement of manufacturing efficiency.
- Improved product reliability.
- Better margins.
Applications of Design for Manufacturability
Some examples of DFM tasks include:
- Comparing designs to see which one has the least manufacturability issues and the least cost.
- Identifying the design features that add to manufacturing operations.
- Ensuring that there are no design issues at the time of roll out that can turn out to be costly.
At Technotronix, we have more than 4 decades of experience in fabricating and assembling a wide variety of PCBs. Whether your requirement is that of a rigid, flex or rigid-flex PCB, we have you covered. Our state-of-the-art equipment and team of experts is well-equipped to handle your requirements for any kind of PCB design for manufacturability. When you partner with us; you get an access to a rich body of industry best practices that give you an edge.
We are equipped with sophisticated manufacturing simulation tools that help in deep DFM modeling that go a long way in reducing production time and costs. This offers you an invaluable benefit in times where quick go-to-market is the need of the hour.
Additionally, we are extremely committed to offer PCB design for manufacturability services in quick turnaround.
All you need to do is to get in touch with our team and share your bespoke requirements. Our experienced team will share a custom quote and ensure that the PCB is fabricated to your exact needs.
All of this at the most cost-effective prices that ensure that your project is extremely competitive!
PCB Design for Manufacturability FAQs
- Issues due to acid traps.
- Issues due to copper/solder mask slivers on planes.
- Used due to starved thermals.
- Issues due to no clearance pads on planes.
- Issues due to insufficient annular rings.
- Issues caused by copper being too close to the board edge.
You can use design for manufacturability quote request form and submit information. Alternatively, you can email us BOM and Gerber files along with information of PCB design for manufacturing volume and type of PCB DFM testing requirements at email@example.com or call us on 714/630-9200 in case any other clarification is required in respect to our PCB design for manufacturability services.
PCB Assembled in 24 hours
Kitted and Turn-Key option as per customers requirement.
REQUEST OUR BROCHURE
Please provide your email address. We’ll send you copy of our brochure in a PDF format.