LED printed circuit boards: Everything you need to know!
An electronics related project will often require the use of light-emitting diodes. It is here that an LED PCB comes in extremely handy.
What is an LED printed circuit board?
An LED PCB is a printed circuit board that is made for LED circuits where a large amount of heat is generated. These are metal based PCBs and their substrate is often aluminum since it is high on thermal conductivity. LED printed circuit boards are made up of a thermally conductive material where heat is dissipated quickly.
In terms of design, it has one or more LEDs that are soldered to an aluminum-based board. Additionally it also has heat sinks & a chip.
LED printed circuit board Materials
In choosing the LED PCB substrate the one thing that needs to be carefully considered is its thermal performance. Some of the additional aspects that need to be considered include:
Some of the options when it comes to the choice of LED PCB substrate include
- FR4 PCB Raw Material
- CEM-1 PCB Raw Material
- CEM-3 PCB Raw Material
Advantages of using LED printed circuit boards in electronics
Some of the benefits of using LED circuit boards include:
- They are lightweight & come in a small size. In the current milieu where miniaturization is the name of the game, they come in extremely handy. That they do not add to the weight of the circuitry is an added perk.
- They are known to consume less power. In fact they are known to use as much as 75% less energy than traditional bulbs.
- They have a long time span & hence you do not have to deal with replacement costs.
- They do not dissipate large amount of heat. An LED PCB therefore adds greatly to the efficiency of your project.
- Importantly, it is easy to integrate LED PCBs (Printed Circuit Board) into complex projects. That they do not require a large amount of circuitry as well as expertise is a definite advantage.
- The fact that LED PCBs are dust & moisture resistant adds to their efficiency.
- They are mercury free. Hence you can rest assured that you are not adding toxic materials to the environment.
- They do not emit Radio Frequency waves & hence do not interfere with other electronic devices. With the use of LED PCB (Printed Circuit Board) you do not have to worry about RF interference.
- Their long life also means that you are creating far less waste.
- They are available in a wide variety of colors as well as sizes. Importantly, you can also customize the dimensions as per your bespoke requirements.
- They optimize operational costs & help you save money in the long run
Applications of LED printed circuit boards
On account of the above reasons, LED printed circuit boards find application in a wide variety of industries, including but not limited to:
- Consumer Lighting- In fact this is the very first application of LED PCBs that comes to mind. From flashlights to lamps & solar-powered lighting, the use of LED PCBs is ubiquitous
- Consumer Electronics- Besides Consumer Lighting, LED PCBs find application in other consumer electronics such as:
- Tablets, and more
Aluminum PCB LEDs are particularly useful since they can transfer hear & such equipment is heat sensitive.
- Telecommunications – In the telecommunications industry the use of LED PCBs is prevalent on account of a wide variety of factors. Some of them include the fact that they can transfer heat, they are known to be durable & more.
- Transportation – LED PCBs are found in vehicles in terms of headlights, brake lights, indicators & more. Other than vehicles, it finds extensive application in street lighting, traffic lights etc. LED PCBs are also found in air landings as well as running lights.
- Medicine – Right from hospital lighting to lighting used for surgeries, PCB LEDs are widely used.
To sum up
While LED PCBs come with several advantages, it is important to remember that designing an LED circuit comes with special requirements. It is important therefore to determine that the design of the PCB works for your LED application. For the same reason it is important to work with the right electronics contract manufacturer who understands these issues & can help avoid costly mistakes.
At Technotronix, we are fully equipped to handle your LED PCB manufacturing requirements. With over four decades of experience in delivering high-quality, on-time, competitive price products, you can bank on us for your PCB requirements. In case you have any questions, please feel free to contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 714/630-9200.